The PGA Tour heads again to the Lonestar State for this week’s Valero Texas Open.
The AT&T Oaks Course at TPC San Antonio is a par 72 that ideas out at 7,435 yards. It tends to favor a ballstriker over a putter, particularly whenever you have a look at a number of the winners of this occasion because it moved to the Oaks Course in 2010 (Kevin Chappell, Charley Hoffman, Jimmy Walker, Brendan Steele and Adam Scott).
Subsequently, have a look at strokes gained: tee-to-green and par-5 scoring (the par 5s listed below are powerful).
Additionally this event has seen greater than its justifiable share of inclement climate. This yr’s forecast requires some showers and thunderstorms, and a few wind, together with a 19 mph wind projection for Friday. However total, it’s not the worst climate this occasion has seen.
Here’s a have a look at my high 20 fantasy golf choices for the week:
1. Charley Hoffman: Since Texas Open moved to TPC San Antonio in 2010, he has made eight begins right here with one win (2016), two different top-Three finishes and 4 different showings of T-13 or higher. Coming off a T-12 at Masters, certainly one of three top-20s in his final 5 Tour begins. Ranks T-19 on Tour in par-5 scoring.
2. Sergio Garcia: His solely journey to TPC San Antonio got here in 2010 and resulted in a T-45 end. Throw out his MC and unfortunate No. 13 at Masters and he has three top-10s in as many begins getting into this week.
Three. Brendan Steele: 2011 Texas Open champ has three different finishes of T-13 or higher right here. MC at Masters, however went T-20, T-17 in two earlier Tour begins. Ranks T-19 in par-5 scoring.
Four. Si Woo Kim: T-22 final yr at Texas Open and enters this yr’s version with momentum. Went T-9, T-24 earlier than shedding in playoff at RBC Heritage. Continues to indicate enchancment throughout the board, together with leaping 18 spots to 39th in SGTTG.
5. Chesson Hadley: Constructed off T-18 in Houston with T-7 at RBC Heritage. Was T-Four right here in 2015. Ranks 25th in SGTTG.
6. Billy Horschel: Missed reduce right here final yr, however had 4 top-5s in 5 earlier begins right here and he ended a current stoop with T-5 end at RBC Heritage.
7. Matt Kuchar: Slipped to T-23 at Harbour City, however nonetheless has two top-10s and nothing worse than T-28 in 4 straight Tour begins. He’s excellent in six tries at TPC San Antonio, however has only one top-10 (T-Four, 2014).
Eight. Luke Record: Has gone T-29, MC in two journeys to TPC San Antonio. However his T-Three end at Harbour City was his second top-Three end this season. Additionally has three top-25s in final 4 begins. Ranks sixth in SGTTG and T-19 in par-5 scoring.
9. Adam Scott: Received right here in 2010, however hasn’t performed since a T-23 in 2011. Doesn’t have a top-10 since The Gamers final Could, although he’s been displaying some life the previous few months (T-13 at Honda, T-16 at Valspar) after a sluggish begin to yr. Ranks fifth in SGTTG.
10. Ryan Moore: Was T-18 final yr, his first Texas Open begin since a T-Eight in 2012. Was T-16 at RBC Heritage and has three top-10s this season.
11. Ryan Palmer: Has notched 4 top-10s in eight begins at TPC San Antonio, together with three straight finishes of T-6 or higher. That’s adequate to make up for his lack of current kind – 76, MC, T-28, MC, MC since T-2 at Farmers. T-15 in par-5 scoring.
12. Kevin Chappell: In seven profession Texas Open begins, he has a win (2017), a second (2011) and a T-Four (2016). Nonetheless, he has missed back-to-back cuts since withdrawing from Match Play with again harm. Ranks 14th in SGTTG, although he dropped six spots after Heritage, and T-24 in par-5 scoring.
13. Zach Johnson: Received Texas Open titles at La Cantera in 2008 and ’09, however has only one end higher than T-20 in 5 begins at TPC San Antonio (T-6, 2014). Has had a really constant season with seven top-26 finishes in 10 begins. Coming off T-42 end at Harbour City.
14. Jimmy Walker: 2015 Texas Open winner was additionally T-13 right here final yr. Confirmed some good sport at Masters with T-20 end. T-152 in SGTTG, although.
15. Beau Hossler: Missed reduce in his Texas Open debut final yr, however continues to dazzle this season. T-16 at Harbour City was his fifth top-20 of the season.
16. Julian Suri: Making first journey to TPC San Antonio, however confirmed what he can do in debuts after T-Eight in Houston.
17. Francesco Molinari: WD, T-42 in two Texas Open begins. However T-20 at Augusta Nationwide moved his string of consecutive top-26 finishes to 4. Ranks 17th in SGTTG.
18. Xander Schauffele: T-50 at Masters snapped his streak of 4 straight top-20s. Missed reduce in Texas Open debut final yr.
19. Pat Perez: His worst end in 4 begins at TPC San Antonio is T-22, however he doesn’t have a top-10 since T-Four at Kapalua. Does rank 14th in par-5 scoring.
20. Brandt Snedeker: Bought again on observe with T-23 at Harbour City. Has performed right here twice earlier than (fourth in 2011, T-25 in ’16).