The Carthay Circle, inbuilt 1926, was certainly one of Hollywood’s main theaters within the Nineteen Thirties and ’40s with many purple-carpet film openings together with “Romeo and Juliet” (1936), “Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs” (1937) and “Gone with the Wind” (1939).
The photograph above, by Los Angeles Occasions employees photographer Maurice Terrell, was not revealed with the report of the premiere however discovered use later for its historic worth.
The top for the Carthay Circle got here quietly in 1969. In a quick merchandise in his column, Matt Weinstock reported on June 22:
Devoted landmark watchers could also be disquieted to study that the Carthay Circle Theater is not there any extra.
A excessive fence surrounds the location at 6316 W. San Vicente Blvd. and behind it a demolition crew final week completed breaking apart what was as soon as the elegant, 1,one hundred fifty seat Carthay with its distinguishing tower. Inbuilt 1926, it was the scene of many spectacular movie premieres through the ’30s and ’40s.
Its final glamorous second was the displaying of the reissued “Gone With the Wind” (in 1967). When its remaining film, “The Footwear of the Fisherman,” closed a few month in the past, the wrecking crew moved in.
When the particles is cleared, a 5-story constructing, just like the one alongside which homes Nationwide Common Corp., can be constructed on the location.
In at the moment’s financial system the Carthay was merely not economically possible.
On YouTube is that this RKO-Pathe newsreel of the 1937 premiere of Disney’s “Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs” on the Carthay Circle.
This publish was initially revealed on March 17, 2011.